Did you know…
We receive less than 2% of our funding from the government, and operate on 98% donated food, money, supplies and services.
In addition to food distribution, in partnership with Abbotsford Community Services and other amazing people, AFB offers our guests
- free dental care at our on-site clinic,
- kids’ soccer camps,
- seasonal fresh produce
- special Christmas Hampers,
- and other exciting programs
We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia
More about the Abbotsford Food Bank…
Our Mission is to Nurture families and cultivate community within our city by providing supplemental food assistance and other supportive programs.
We Believe that:
- People should not go hungry
- Every person deserves care, dignity, and respect
- Many people become poor due to circumstances beyond their control
- Many people living in poverty already exercise the greatest degree of personal responsibility
- Everyone is entitled to basic needs including food, clothing, and shelter
- Public involvement and awareness of social needs will generate positive results
In the early 1970’s the Christmas Bureau was an annual program organized through Abbotsford Community Services to ensure that everyone in our community would be able to join in the celebration of Christmas. During the recession of the 1980’s many families and individuals were finding it increasingly difficult to provide for the basic necessities, let alone for Christmas. Fortunately, our community responded to these peoples needs and also recognized the extreme need for assistance throughout the remainder of the year. Thus, the Abbotsford Food Bank was formally established in 1983/84.
In the early 1980’s the Food Bank was assisting approximately 900 people every month. Today we are helping over 3000 people each month with approximately 40% of those being children.
3,000 people helped per month.
80% of Food Bank guests make less than $18,000 per year.
Approximately 1.3 million dollars’ worth of food is distributed every year.
1 in 20 children enrolled in elementary school goes without food over the weekend.
Food Bank Manager
Admin and Reception
Dental Clinic Coordinator
Event Coordinator & Communications
Christmas Bureau Coordinator (seasonal)
Intake & Christmas Bureau
Intake & Satellite locations Coordinator